Sunday, April 09, 2006

Creative? Who me?

People are funny. Some assume because I knit (and now quilt) that I'm creative. Nothing could be further from the truth. All I do is follow the pattern. The only time I change the pattern is when I cannot find the material called for in the pattern.

My problem is with colour. I lack any sense of what colour compliments another. My mother gave me a colour wheel for my birthday and I'm still lost. I have a lot of black, blue and green in my wardrobe (green is relatively new). Is there a name for fear of colour? There must be. Maybe some day I'll get around to looking it up.

On my second quilt (Mish Mash) I spent hours planning the layout. When I found combinations that I liked I took photos to record my choices. If that were not neurotic enough, I also made voice memos recording my layout decisions.

I think I'm being more neurotic this time because looking at my first quilt I see so many different choices I could have made. I really like the quilt and the layout, but I'm still thinking about what I could have done differently (which is not the same as should have).

Allison is also making the same quilt. Except being a girly-girl she was drawn to pinks, while mine is predominantly blue. I will be interesting to see the differences and similarities when they are completed.


Here is a corner from my Mish Mash.

More later.

L

No comments: