Thursday, May 25, 2006

Quilting and Whiskey

On Tuesday Allison, Mom and I went to Antigonish to visit the Harbour Quilt Company. It was a big store with a lot of fabric and notions. The store had a lot of Thimbleberries and Homespun style fabric. There was no Amy Butler, no bold prints, no Asian inspired prints. Not that I’m surprised. But it was a long drive to get there. Mom bought two books; Allison bought one book and thread. Allison and I both bought fat quarters of Mona’s Withering Heights. I bought us the 4.5-inch squares for Christmas (no idea what we are going to use it for).

We had a healthy lunch of lattes and Oreo cheesecake. We stopped by my cousin James’ on the way back to Blues Mills. I made his son Harrison cry when I tied his socks together. Any hope of getting extra cash babysitting while I’m here is now gone.

We got home to pick up Dad for our pilgrimage to the Red Barn in Baddeck. He told us that Aunt Kay called. So he stayed home (I think the cheesecake high we were on scared him) and we hit the road again. We visited with Aunt Kay and her dog Tilley (part terrier and part collie) at her new house. There is something about big windows letting in lots of light that I like. The kitchen was large with an island (I love islands).

Our final stop was the Red Barn. It is so different from what Allison and I remember. I bought some postcards. I don’t think Allison bought anything (see Len she can resist the temptation of shopping). Dad had dinner ready when we returned.

Yesterday, we went to the Glenora Distillery. The drive has a gorgeous view. We had a tour by the Master Distiller and a sample. He is the nephew of the woman my parents bought their house from. They also got a U-Haul stuck on the way up the driveway (their was empty, unlike my parents’ U-Haul that was full). I bought a bottle of 10-year-old single malt whiskey for Trish (lord knows she needs it for strength to help put up with me). Allison bought two single serving bottles (one for Len and one for Dad). I felt better about the cost of mine when I did the math and found out that it would cost $209 for the 50ml bottles to get the same amount that I bought. But is it worth the price.

Here is an interesting fact for you: only whiskey made in Scotland can be called Scotch. Everything else is whiskey. Glenora imports their barley from Scotland and yeast from South Africa. The only thing Canadian about it is the water used and the people who make it. I think we may need to make another trip there when I'm back in August.

After the Distillery we continued on our drive towards Cheticamp and the ocean. I took a lot of photos (to be posted later). In Cheticamp we stopped for lunch. This time no adventure for me, I had chicken fingers. Everyone else had fish and chips. I bought a pair of slippers (“just like grandma made” was written on the sign). I have the pattern to make this style, but I had a problem decoding the pattern, so they are in the yarn cabinet waiting.

Bird sightings from yesterday include an eagle and heron on our road trip. More Purplefinches and Goldfinches. There were several Juncos around and I think I saw more Hummingbirds.

Our only plans for today are to go to the Coop for graham cracker crumbs, so I can make dessert for dinner tonight. We are going to Kennena and Dougie's for dinner. Mom and I were discussing her garden. I told her that Dad needs a grow light, so he can start his tomatoes and herbs from seed. She said I sound like my Uncle Duncan who is telling my father to build a vegetable bed. Uncle Duncan is a smart man if he is saying the same thing I am. My father has tried to get fresh basil at almost every store on the Island with no luck. A grow light goes on the possible Christmas list, as it now seems that they are going to get their own chest freezer in the fall.

More later.

L

No comments: